I just finished watching "The Motorcycle Diaries" and would highly recommend it.
I was mesmerized by the stunning locations, the purity of Che's idealism and the spirit of adventure that saw Ernesto and Alberto cover a stunning 10000 km in 5 months with nothing but an old motorcycle (La Poderosa II) and some sparse belongings...
Che had charisma, no fear and through him I saw life pouring out of every little cell.... He epitomizes the immortality of youth that I wish I could feel forever....
The movie made me think about the role of government in society. For starters, why does civilized society need governing? I think we need governance because we are too short-sighted and selfish to ever see the "greater good" - which is what government eventually seeks to provide! And how can government do this? By creating a level playing field and by striving to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to pursue life, liberty and happiness! Mr. Thomas Jefferson was a true visionary *bows*...
So why then does this not happen? Why then does Utopia not exist? Because as always, beautiful ideas make beautiful assumptions!
Assumption 1:
People in power can see and work for the greater good.
This will never happen unless truly exceptional or truly rich and bored people come to power. A person is selfish by default and it takes a lot to give up the lust for power and money...
Assumption 2:
There exists "greater good" and people believe it exists!!
Greater good... hmm... does that mean that the total number of happy people is more than the total number of sad people? Or does it mean that nobody is sad? Or what? Difficult to describe, no?
Assumption 3:
People who vote can see the big picture.
Again, the belief that the vote of a person is cast whilst keeping in mind the larger picture is flawed. People will vote for greatest personal gain and this doesn't necessarily lead to greater good.
But what is the alternative? No government? That aint ever going to work, because laws are necessary for a civilization to survive and for laws to survive authority is necessary, hence government.
If that didn't make sense to some of you then I apologize because I haven't been able to construct an argument--because I didn't really have a point, just some rambling thoughts!
Tuesday, November 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment