Sunday, March 4, 2007

Some progress, nothing concrete!

I found a few sites that analyze love from a philosophical perspective:

Kenny Pearce's blog
Stanford Encyclopedia of philosophy

The first of these sets out to prove the statement: Love is a deeply internalized belief in the intrinsic value of the beloved.

The second is more like a textbook chapter that lists the various "forms" of love: philia, eros, agape.

A confession: I have not read either of those two through. I thought they might help me answer my question, but then I realized that the answer to my question should not be based on what philosophers surmise! I ought to think on my own and come up with something for myself!

I believe emotions quite often do not subscribe to laws of logic and "rationality" (this word in quotes because I am unable to define it), hence a logical analysis of love seems contradictory.

I am going to end the post here partly in order to explain the title, but really because everything that I tried to write after this either did not make sense or was not right for this post!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanx for your support and encouragement.
My beloved also tells me that I should not succumb to pressure. At the moment, I'm trying my best. But I know, I'll never do that, if I have the constant support of someone like you.
Thank you again!!!

Unknown said...

P.S. I've shifted my blog entries to another address:-
http://streetsmartrony.blogspot.com

Do keep giving comments. At least that'll cheer me up.

Gargi Shah said...

Not using what the philosophers' surmise is okay in some cases. In other ways, its re-inventing the wheel.
But, probably in the mattes of heart, it's better to come up with one's answers.

But you haven't written MUCH about your views except that emotions do not subscribe to the laws of logic.

Gargi Shah said...

waiting for another post...